Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Turkey Lurkey Do and Turkey Lurkey Dickle

So tomorrow's Turkey Day, Schmoop and I are spending our first Thanksgiving together at our house with his family. Its been interesting planning as my SIL is making the turkey and some of the other things and bringing them over. I'm making a majority of the other stuff, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Trace's pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies , Michelle's Corn Pudding Bake , Green Bean Casserole , apple-cranberry-crisp-with-pecan-topping- , Caramel Chocolate Walnut Torte, Pumpkin Pie. And all the fun little treats the celery and cheese appetizers my family loves, the olives, pickles, the stuff to serve with desserts mints, little chocolates, etc.
Its another learning lesson about being a part of another family. I come from a large family and we have traditions for EVERYTHING and every holiday. I am used to helping my mom with a house full of people way before dinner even happens. Schmoops family is very small, much quieter and they really don't do anything for any holiday. Its hard for me because I love holiday's, its so fun being together and spending time getting things all set and pretty. I've spent other holiday's away from my family but it is usually with like minded people so it felt like I was with my family. Just another learning lesson, blending in with one family without losing sight of the things that make the holidays special to me. In that respect I'm glad we are having dinner at our house as I can still do a few of the elements that are special to me, saying a prayer that my grandmother wrote before dinner, having the little touches that will make it more like home. We shall see, one things for sure I will miss the skeet shooting after dinner!!
This afternoon Schmoop and I are going over to Center City to give out lunches to the homeless with my church. A new tradition for our new family.

No comments: