Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some days are just plain weird

Just to warn you, I'm in a rambling mood so this post might end up being a whole lot of nothing but..
This morning I was driving into work and I'm slowing down to a traffic light and out from behind a tree jumped a wild turkey. He kind of ran in circles a bit then crossed the road and ran into the trees. I almost ran into him, it was right around the place where I ran into a family of ducks too (shudder, I'll have to retell that story after I stop having the nightmares). I was seriously wondering if I had some bad yougurt for breakfast but nope it was a wild turkey in the middle of the good size town I work in. I was entirely too stunned to reach for my camera until the turkey was pretty far into the lawn of the house on the other side of the road so no photographic evidence.
Speaking of yogurt I'm in luv with the Greek yogurt Fage, mmm its almost sour creamy
but in a good way. Amazing if you put some honey in it and it really only has two ingredients, if you want to know what those are go buy it lazies I can't tell you everything. I tried to find another yogurt that could inspire such feelings inside of me as Fage but within my coupon book (seriously its 2 bucks a pop!) and got two subs to try this week. First up was Stoneybrook Farms "Greek" yogurt, Oiyos, and I'm pretty sure Stoneybrook farms isn't in Greece and Fage is sent directly from this wonderful yogurt producing land. First off there was a few more ingredients in the Oiyos and it kind of creeped me out not sure why it wasn't disgusting but didn't have the same amazingness that my Fage has. The second replacement was Yo-Plus for digestive health, cause you know I'm worried about my digestive health. This stuff was decent but still didn't hold a candle to my fav as it was flavored and not greek. Next step is to get a yogurt maker, ok well next step is to talk the hubby into getting a yogurt maker. I have a ridiculous amount of kitchen gadgets so it might be a tough sell but I don't want to deal with the whole keeping the yogurt at 110 degrees for 10-12 hour thing that the recipes call for cause my oven doesn't go down that far and I'm fairly sure that I would be up all night worrying about the yogurt temperature and if there is one thing that I really don't need to be worrying about it is yogurt temperatures. Maybe if I make him some pizzelles with my never been used Pizzelle maker he will give in.
Speaking of unused kitchen gadgets I found an awesome recipe for Cocoa Ice Cream, I'm going to make it sometime soon like as soon as my half and half defrosts which require s me remembering to take it out of the freezer. I have friends coming over on Sat that seems like the perfect time to break out the cocoa ice cream. Hmmm maybe I'll make cones out of pizzelles, ok this is just coming together pretty well. That would kill about 10 birds with one stone as I haven't used the pizzelle maker since I bought it and its been awhile for the ice cream maker. Also I think I referenced my cocoa powder stockpile going on. Seriously if the world ran out of cocoa I don't thing the hubs would have to worry about lacking any cocoa-ey goodness for about 3 years.
Mmm so last night I made lemon custard and it was sooo good.
Dirkeys Custard of Goodness (yes I can call it mine cause I totally deviated from the recipe I casually glanced at, I'm such a deviant).
2 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup 1/2 and 1/2 (thats alot of halfs)
1/2 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
4 eggs
1/3 tsp lemon extract
Bring the zest, milk and half and half to a boil, then let rest for 30 minutes
Preheat oven to 325, then mix eggs and milk with a wisk, add in the strained milk mixture slowly with a wisk, seriously wisk the crap out of it, at the very end add in the lemon extract and mix well. If you are fancy skim the bubbles off of the top, I like the bubbles so they stay with mine. Take a oblong baking dish and line the bottom with paper towels and put custard dishes in. Fill custard dishes with the custard mixture (I filled 6). Lastly fill the baking dish with hot water up to about halfway up the custard dishes (I used a funnel so I didn't get water in the custard dishes). Bake for 40 minutes remove and cool on a wire cooling rack or wherever you cool things. Can store up to two days.

No comments: