Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How to check if your yeast is still yeasty


"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven:"
Ecclesiastes 3:1

Baking bread is such a great thing to do for your family. One of the main benefits is that you can insure what is in the bread, the ingredients on most grocery store loafs can make you cringe! For a time I was baking bread every week for the hubs and he LOVED it, literally ate it up :)
But as things go, I entered a season of not baking bread and my yeast stayed put in a glass jar in my fridge. I'm starting to feel a season of bread baking coming back around and was wondering today if my yeast is still good.

There is a quick test for this; you need
1 cup of water
1 Tbsp of yeast
1 Tbsp of sugar
Basically you mix and let sit and see if it foams up within 5 minutes. If it does than your yeast is good.

I set about to do this while Bug was nursing figuring I could keep an eye on it. and after 5 minutes I had this.


Problem solved right? Yes, I can now confidently bake bread knowing my yeast will rise and will not waste all of my other ingredients. Well Bug didn't finish nursing in the prescribed 5 minutes so I sat and watched this...

the miracle of yeast :)

1 comment:

mama k said...

cool! I have some old stuff hanging around to test too.