Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just Thinkin

In 5th grade we had this contest at school.  It was a fundraiser to sell a ridiculous amount of magazine subscriptions or something.  For every subscription you sold you got points towards a prize catelog.  Well I got the most points and picked a chemisty set, yes I was/am a nerd.  One of my first experiments was to take whatever was in the fridge (some new england clam chowder) and make it do something.  Well I found a way to turn that chowder pink and I was so excited, I went down the road to show our neighbors.  I'm sure they were thrilled.   I was thinking this week that this was kinda like what has happened to the farming industry in the past 50 years.  They have found that adding a little bit of this or that deters pests, yeilds bigger harvests, etc. But just like that pink chowder, I'm not eating that stuff either.  Go organic :)

4 comments:

Karen Sue said...

Hey there...
Do you still do Frugal Fridays?? I am hopping around the blog world and reading things like down to earth and YOU and I was just wondering...

Gwenn Mangine said...

This is Gwenn-- Melody's sister.

It's an interesting thing, organic food. I really have no problem with people eating organic, BUT it is worth noting that we are at the point where we could not sustain our population without pesticides/genetically altered food, because of increased yields.

So it's kind of a paradox. One can only eat organic because there are others who do not.

Dirkey said...

to be honest Gwenn I didn't know that. The whole pesticide thing creeps me out. I'd be curious to see if there is some sort of alternative. We eat organic for the dirty dozen but a good amount of the time when we're out or at friends we don't eat organic. Was just thinking about that chemisty set while I was at the grocery store the other day :)

Melody Strayer said...

Not me. I love me some red dye #5. Yummo.

Just kidding. Kind of.