Friday, April 15, 2011

Cake Decorating Gerbera Daisy

The last two cakes I've made I have been working on my Gerbera Daisies and I think that I finally figured it out. The next time I make them it will be perfect!!
This is the first attempt, I was going for Gerbera's and also Zinnia's. I think it was passable but there were a few things I wasn't thrilled about. The dusting powder I put on was too thick and took away from the flower, also the icing wasn't as smooth as it needed to be.

This is the second. I used a #104 tip.
To start I took a drinking glass and lightly used it to make perfect circle indentations on the cake. Then I took the #104 tip and started from the outside and placing the icing bag at a 45 degree angle and brought it into the center. The first cake I started from the center and was frustrated with how the outside edges turned out. After I finished the petal color I just filled in the center with a contrasting color. Next time I would use a small star tip and use it multiple times to fill in the center. I still love the effect that it had and thought it was beautiful!

5 comments:

Em said...

Beautiful. But I will always think that the gerbera daisy cake you did for me was the best!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi
This is the only means I could find to contact you.
I'm from Brisbane, Australia and I've been following your blog for a couple of months now after googling 'ptosis surgery'. My beautiful boy was diagnosed with congenital ptosis of both eyes at 5 weeks. He is now four months and the light of our lives. I guess I relate to you. Your son is just beautiful and looks like such a happy little chap.
I'd love to chat about some things if you are interested. I will check in here soon for a reply, but understand if this message from a stranger seems a bit odd and you do not respond.
All the best,
J

Dirkey said...

Hi J, when my boy had his surgery I googled and didn't find much on it. I wanted to really document bugs just in case another family went through the same. Glad u found it! How is your little boy doing?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying!
He is doing really well. We managed to get him into the best ophthalmologist in Brisbane and he said that his sight appeared normal and he had good eye health. That was at 6 weeks and at that stage he was looking at surgery at 3.5 years, if his sight stayed unaffected. He will need regular checks and his next is on the 30th of this month. I'm a bit worried though as when I lifted his left eyelid this morning it looked different to the right (his left is much worse). I'm going to see if I can get him back in sooner.
Otherwise he is a healthy happy boy, full of smiles! He has just learned to squeal, which is a wonderful sound!
It has been great following your boy's progress. Even though their cases may be very different, it's somehow comforting to see how well he is doing.
Can I ask why he had surgery so young? Our doc say it is better to wait until they are a bit older, unless the case is severe.

Dirkey said...

Unfortunately my boys eyesight was being affected, was horrible to send my little two month old into surgery! So glad you can wait, I was so worried because he was so small! Thankfully he is doing great and his eyesight is definitely getting better! If you want to put your address in your next comment I won't publish it and will continue convo over email