Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Why I should just stop watching tv

So last night I watched just enough of Jon and Kate plus 8 to learn that they are getting a divorce.  I've been watching this show off and on for the whole time it was on and this year it has really put a bad taste in my mouth.  I just can't understand for the life of me how they can film for posterity what will be one of the toughest experiences for their kids.  Can you imagine living through that then later googling it and watching episodes of your life falling apart?  I can't imagine the emotional turmoil that would cause.  

I for one will not be watching (encouraging) this to happen anymore.  Just like a child, you can't give positive attention for bad behavior.  I will be praying for them and their children.   I'm wondering how many tv shows I'll cut out if I just apply this model of watching to all my guilty pleasures.  I know Real Housewives are out, as are most of the other reality shows (except Top Chef love that show!).   

From this I learned that I am so thankful for the partnership that I have with my husband.  I'm so thankful that we work together to find conclusions and that even when we're upset with each other we don't go to bed angry.  I pray that I would always look to find the best and encourage the best in him.  He is a good, good man and I pray that I will look to see the good in him every day of our lives together.

2 comments:

Em said...

Right there with you, Dirkey! I used to watch J&K+8 off and on but stopped watching it early this year. I got tired of watching how mean Kate was to Jon and then, after all this stuff in the press lately I was appalled that they would keep filming. I know they probably had a contract but I think the kids' wellbeing and family is more important than a contract!!!

schmoop said...

J&K+8 is just a drop in the ocean. Maybe we should all just cut our cable and throw our TVs to the curb