Tuesday, December 21, 2010

All I want for Christmas is.....


This is Bug's first Christmas and I'm really wanting to set the tone for years to come. We are doing a very simple Christmas. I got him some socks and pjs, a childrens nativity, and some wooden teethers; that's it. I'm making him a few things; his first sock monkey, a sweet little hat and some cloth wipes. I really want to make sure that our family Christmas isn't about gifts but about spending time together and about celebrating our faith. I know we have a few years before the lil guy will remember these Christmases but I know that it will take a couple years to de-program myself and the hubs. I do really like giving gifts and would LOVE to spoil the boy with everything he could possibly want. However, I know from my time working at the preschool that the more toys kids have the less they play with them. I also know that having so much stuff in my house would drive me insane and that would not be good for the tone of our house.

The hubs and I are also doing a minimalist Christmas. We are doing a $5 limit and are getting the most ridiculous thing we can find. I CAN'T WAIT to see what he finds. I am also going to make him something, and fill his stocking with some needs and some little odds and ends.

I've been so bothered lately by some of the commercials, especially the jewelry store ones. "Every kiss begins with Kay" and others that basically say that the only way to express or receive love is lavish gifts. This bothers me so much. I'm the first to admit that I have gotten jewelry and loved it for certain occasions but my relationship is not dependent on my husband getting me lavish and expensive gifts. I want to find different and unique ways of expressing love without giving in to our culture of overspending and excessiveness.

My bug was all I really wanted this year and now that he's here I want to focus on showing him what is important in life. Wishing you and your families a very Merry Christmas, however you choose to celebrate.

1 comment:

mama k said...

Love it. As you know, I am on the same page. And can I say, I find it so freeing to avoid commericals? I pretty much only watch Netflix and Hulu these days and it's great. Advertisers are GOOD at what they do: making us feel unhappy and unsatistified so we will buy more.